Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Troubleshooting - Technical and Account Issues
I do not know or I have forgotten my TAFE NSW username and/or password.
- If you are currently enrolled, you can ask your local or nearest Customer Services staff to issue or reset your password.
- In some locations, Library staff may also be able to issue and reset your password.
- You can also call 131 601 and select option 4 and follow the prompts for help with your password.
My TAFE NSW username and password are not working.
- If you cannot log in to Smarthinking and other TAFE NSW logins like the TAFE NSW Student Portal, visit the Customer Service Team at your local or nearest campus.
- For TAFE Digital student help with accounts and other issues, please contact your teacher in the first instance. If you are near a TAFE NSW campus, local Customer Services Team staff will be happy to help.
- You can also ring the help line on 131 601 and follow the prompts.
- Please note that only currently enrolled TAFE NSW students have access to Smarthinking.
Can I get technical help whilst using Smarthinking?
Yes. Click on the Support button at the top of the screen, when logged into Smarthinking.
Can I access Smarthinking by going through the Smarthinking website direct?
No, you must access through your TAFE NSW Moodle, studespace, TAFE Digital OLS, Student Portal or direct library link.
Will the tutors give me the answers to my questions?
No – Smarthinking tutors will work with you to overcome the issues you are having with your particular assignment needs, to reach next steps and help you develop confidence so that you can work independently. They will guide you and tutor you to help you answer the questions better.
Can the tutors help me with Australian tax queries?
No, as tutors come from all around the world they will not have this specific knowledge. Please reach out to your teacher for help.
What document formats can I submit?
- You can submit in the following formats .doc, .docx, .txt,and .rtf
- Convert your PDF or PowerPoint presentation into a word document before submitting.
- You can also convert the item at the point when you upload it to Smarthinking.
How much timed help have I been allocated?
- You can have up to 3 hours help per term. Your time resets at the beginning of the next term.
- You cannot carry over any unused time.
- You can see how much time you have left on your dashboard.
- As a guide, a 5000 word assignment will take approximately 40 minutes to review.
I've reached my time allocation limit but I still need help. What can I do?
Your teacher is your first option for help. TAFE NSW Learning Centres and Libraries also offer help in certain areas.
TAFE NSW provides a range of services to help with study skills. Please see the What Study Support is Available to Me box on the Additional Study Support page
How long do I have to wait to get help?
For one on one help with a tutor, you can expect immediate help 24/7 Monday to Sunday. You can also submit written work or ask a written question during this time. You will get a response to written works and questions within 24 hours.
Smarthinking provides FAQs, knowledge articles and direct technical support via the dashboard. To log a help desk request with Smarthinking, click the Support tab, then click Technical Support.
Support Resources For Staff
Posters, presentations and material to support promotion of Smarthinking
TAFE NSW staff username and password required.
Logging in via the TAFE NSW Portal
1. Log in to your TAFE NSW Student Portal using your TAFE NSW username and password.
2. Click on the Smarthinking icon in the right hand column on the portal page.
Logging in via the LMS - Moodle or Studespace
Once logged into your LMS, look for the Smarthinking box and click the link to access Smarthinking.
Logging in via the Online Learning Support (OLS)
TAFE Digital students who use the OLS as their learning platform will continue to be able to access Smarthinking via the OLS. Students should refer to their learning platform for further details.